SQLi Results: No Errors

It has been interesting to see the results of the recent series of SQL injection attacks. I have been using <cfqueryparam> for all dynamic data for years, so I wasn't worried about the SQL injection. Still, even for sites with <cfqueryparam>, error email messages remain a problem.

Although I have gotten some errors from some sites, none from my newer sites. The reason is that earlier steps I have taken prevent errors from invalid URL variables.

The Page Controllers that I use have their own param() method that works mostly like <cfparam>.

It has three arguments:

  • name: The name of the variable
  • type: The variable type
  • default: The default value

The big difference from this to <cfparam> is that <:cfparam> throws an error if the variable exists but isn't of the appropriate type whereas the param() method of the Page Controller will just go ahead and set the default value.

I would love it if this behavior was available as an option for <cfparam> as well.

Although this is my preferred technique, on some older sites I relied on try/catch:

   <cfparam name="url.id" type="numeric">
      <cflocation url="index.cfm" addtoken="No">

A cleaner approach that I have also used is Val(), which is effective in preventing errors:

<cfif isDefined("URL.id")>
   <cfset URL.id = Val(URL.id)>
   <cfset URL.id = 0>

You can read more about Page Controllers or view PageController.cfc. Even if you don't like the concept of a Page Controller, I think the param() method is still useful by itself.

Comments (Comment Moderation is enabled. Your comment will not appear until approved.)
BlogCFC was created by Raymond Camden. This blog is running version 5.8.001.